This is the first in a series of posts I’m going to call, “For The DJs,” (FTDJs) where I’ll be sharing anything that can help out my fellow DJs! I’ll include everything from custom MIDI maps and DJ edits/bootlegs to Serato tips and tricks; anything I feel that could be of benefit to other DJs. First up I’m going to share my Traktor Kontrol Z2 mapping for Serato DJ.
The Z2 is a few years old now but remains an amazing mixer for the money; and it’s just had another price drop to £399! You’ll get the most out of this mixer by using it with Traktor (obviously) but it still has A LOT to offer when mapped to other software, such as Serato.
After downloading these files, you’ll need to import the “DJ SP’s Z2 Serato DJ Mapping.nckz2” file into Controller Editor, and place the “Traktor Kontrol Z2.xml” file in your Serato MIDI folder.
Here’s how I’ve laid out the controls:
The image above shows the default layer on the left and the shift functions on the right. I’d like to think most of the controls should be pretty self-explanatory as I’ve tried to match the labels on the hardware to Serato DJ functions as much as possible, but there are a few things worth noting:
- There is an issue with the latest update to Serato DJ – version 1.7.7 – that stops the button lighting on this mapping from working. Everything functions as it should, the lights just stay off. Serato are aware of this issue and are looking into it. If you want the buttons to light up I recommend using version 1.7.6.
- The INT buttons will switch back and forth between internal mode and the mode you were previously in; relative (REL) or absolute (ABS). This is slightly different to how Scratch Live behaved where you required a button per mode. Holding shift and pressing this button will play/pause the track once you’re in internal mode.
- The FX1a, FX1b, FX1c (left side) and FX2a, FX2b, FX2c (right side) knobs control the amount of each effect in multi FX mode, and the parameters of a single effect in single FX mode. Holding shift and turning these controls will allow you to select the effect for each slot.
- In multi FX mode the FX On buttons will turn on the first effect, and when pressed while holding shift will turn on the second effect. To turn on the third effect in multi FX mode, hold shift and push Auto Loop/Loop Shift encoder down.
- The C, A (left side) and B, D (right side) buttons labelled Beat Up and Beat Down, refer to the beat amount of Serato DJ’s FX. Their shift functions, labelled Pitch Up and Pitch Down, refer to pitch bending.
And lastly, here’s a video of me testing the mapping out… nothing serious, just messing around :p haha. Also, don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions related to this mapping or need help setting it up! Hit me up on Twitter, @iamDJSP, or drop me an email.